Photographing Waterfalls with Huawei P20 Pro

• 25 February 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4

This is the first time I've had a go at taking long exposure photos of waterfalls but the Huawei P20 Pro made it easier to do and no need for an ND filter over the lens which is what all the other photographers at Lumsdale near Matlock in Derbyshire where doing with there DSLR cameras.

I setup on the rock with my P20 Pro and a small JOBY GripTight ONE Micro Stand to keep the phone steady.
I then went in to the P20's camera app settings and set the timer to 2 seconds to further reduce camera shake when tapping on the shutter to get sharper photos. Then switched to the Light Painting mode and selected the Silky Water mode and press the shutter and the Huawei phone does the rest for you.
I later edited the my favourite photos from the day in the Google Photos app to tweak the light and colour a bit.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Nice photos - thanks for sharing 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Great photos @AliFord!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Now I'm trying to think where the nearest waterfall is 🙂
Userlevel 2
Great photos, love the level of spray and water droplet detail retained whilst also achieving the light painting effect, I'm guessing from not leaving the effect running for too long so the water doesn't totally go fully silk, the level you've achieved there is beautiful.
Userlevel 4
Thanks.
I left it going for around 5 seconds.
Would be better if you could manually set the shutter speed in the Silky water mode like you can in Night mode. This would save having to guess when to press the shutter to stop it and also reduce camera shake from pressing the shutter.
Userlevel 6
Badge
some great shots there.
Userlevel 4
some great shots there.
Thanks
It does help having a great camera in a great phone.

I wonder what the photos from the upcoming P30 Pro will be like. Would be nice to try one out.
Brilliant photos!
You said you used the 2 second timer which starts the shot and prevents movement, but how did you stop the shot without moving phone?
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi if you search eBay for "bluetooth shutter" these work well with most phones.

Cheers

Userlevel 4
Brilliant photos!
You said you used the 2 second timer which starts the shot and prevents movement, but how did you stop the shot without moving phone?
Thanks

Good point. There is no way to stop it apart from pressing the button.
I suppose using the 2 second timer to start it Half's the chance of getting camera shake. It's a shame the app doesn't let you set the length of exposure you need then it would stop itself.