Blog

Why I switched to Huawei

• 26 September 2018
  • 29 replies
Why I switched to Huawei
Userlevel 6
Badge
So for about 6-7 years, I had used iPhones after going across to the darkside, mostly because of work. I started with an iPad 3rd generation, which to be fair I loved and used much more than my laptop at the time. This then lead onto my first iPhone, the iPhone 5C. some may argue that it's not the best place to start but I liked the colours. The couple of phones I had before the iPhone where the Lumia820 and the Lumia1020 which if you remember had an amazing 41mp camera on the back. I loved this phone and was gutted when I broke it, and so started my Apple journey.

Why the backstory you say, I’ve not always used Apple since day dot and felt this was important to convey. Having had the iPhone 5C I then moved to the iPhone 6 then the iPhone 6s and then currently the iPhone 7 in Red. What can I say, I like colours. In between this my laptop had died and been replaced with a MacBook Pro which I’m currently writing this on. So it’s fair to say that I have used a few wide and varied Apple products.

Some, and I repeat, some of the stuff for someone that isn’t that techy is great, however...

Battery, what is that about? At times it makes you wonder if Apple has heard of them with the length of time they last on a day to day basis. I mean, come on, I would like to get past 14:00 without having to re-plug it back in.

About the camera
Throughout my iPhone journey I never really felt that I had got back to the quality of my Lumia1020. The photos never looked that great on the range of iPhones that I had. Which led me to take a proper camera around with me. This was bulky and annoying and the wife would moan that I would never take this anywhere fun or risky, it mostly stayed at home in its protective bag.

Then, along came Huawei
My first experience as a user of this was a Huawei P10. Wow! The camera blew me away, what I could do on it, this was September of 2017. Then the Mate10 came out and I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of these bad boys, it still had an amazing camera but the battery was amazing, at this point I was still using my iPhone 7 as my main phone and the Mate10 was my work phone.

Roll around to April 2018 and the launch of the P20Pro. Let’s face it, it was love at first sight! That Twilight colouring, the insane camera and talk of an even better battery life. I was hooked and upgraded, I relegated my iPhone to my work phone, it now needs charging 3 times a day…….

You can see my usage of the camera in the other blogs in the photography section.

I now have an amazing device that works incredibly
I don’t have to worry about charging it every 5 minutes and I no longer have to carry around a bulky camera with me to capture either something silly or amazing moments. Shots like below, we spent all day out on an excursion in New Zealand, took 100+ photos and not a worry about a thing, just enjoying the views and the memories that we were making.

29 replies

I stay on a farm in South Africa. Right near the border with Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Due to the harsh environment I work in, I don't use (and can't afford) an expensive phone. But I've always wanted to be able to capture some of the beautiful scenes I see on a daily basis. This is why, when yet another cheap phone packed in, I looked at an affordable phone with a better camera that falls within my budget.

My choice was the Y5 2019. This despite all the scares of not going to be able to use a Huawei with America's stance towards Huawei. I haven't regretted my choice for one moment!

I'm treating it like a baby so that it doesn't get damaged. I especially enjoy the long battery life even with our pathetic signal quality that runs down a battery very quickly.
Hello, I switched from Apple Watch, original series 1 and after all the year finally cracked the screen, to the Watch GT.

The change was made firstly on the big price difference between a new Apple Watch and Watch GT, but also on the fact, that I really don't use more of a smart watch as the Watch GT offers. After now using it for 2 weeks, I am very happy that I made the change and the most stunning is the battery life. So far I have only once charged the battery - amazing.

Greetings
Alan
WHY DID I SWITCH HUAWEI?

I have been a keen user of Huawei phone's for several years, and have periodically upgraded as newer phones were released.

My main reason for owning and using regularly the Huawei P30 Pro is the camera facilities it offers, and the excellent quality of the images produced.

Interesting, I have always used SLR cameras, and then DSLR' s as they became available.

Now I rarely use my Nikon DSLR, because it's much easier to always have a camera (currently the P30 Pro) in my pocket, at all times of day (and night).
I'm not a picky person about my phones, never have been so when my phone broke and I needed to choose a new one I went with Huawei for the camera (we moved to the coast so lots of beach pictures were going to be taken). In terms of functionality I have never had a phone that I couldn't get used to or had many issues with. Until now. Decided to go with the p30 lite and I would not recommend this phone to anyone. I have had nothing but issues in the 3-4 weeks I have owned it and all the response I seem to get from Huawei is 'that shouldn't be happening, read this thread' it's hard to expect someone to search for every single issue they run into when the issues are endless and many don't have a reliable solution anywhere. At this point I'm ready to sell the phone and be done with Huawei because it's not worth the frustration. The camera is great but that's about it.
I've always used Android aside from a single horrible foray into the 3GS and was aiming to update to the Pixel 3aXL this time round. My wife was looking at the P30 for the camera though and I had a play and really liked the features so went with it myself too.

Love the camera and the phone itself is really good so far too, was a bit concerned about updates but they seem so far to arrive the same as on my old Galaxy S8. EMUI isnt as bad as ive seen reported, its a bit dated looking (mostly notification look and feel) and some odd choices in removed settings (no always on VPN??) but otherwise its been a pleasant change so far.

Previous smartphones (reverse order)

Samsung galaxy S8
Nexus 5X
Sony Xperia SP
Iphone 3GS
Nokia N8
Hello. I've always used Samsung, and when I started reading about the sanctions Trump had imposed on Huawei, and the promise that Huawei would be bringing out it's own software without the usual bloatware, such as Google, I decided it was time to switch to Huawei.
I totally dislike how Google has a sort of monopoly, and that we as users are obliged to carry their tracking and whatever we do on our phones.

I feel as though now I've been duped, because it has since been revealed that HongMeng is not anywhere near ready, and I am forced to stick with the usual Google junk.

Pity. I wish I had waited and kept my Samsung.
Dom77 my thoughts exactly the mate 20 pro was a shining star major winner best this best that all over the TV the Internet and sales pareonel for the companies praised the phone and I hit the brick wall can't get no where now with them lol anybody else wanting to upgrade to 9.1 or wait until 09/08/2019
Moved over as Huawei offered great tech at great value.
However I have now experienced shocking customer service. It seems Huawei are great till something goes wrong.
At this rate I will be gutted to return to Samaung
I have been samsung for phones and ipad for tablets and the most idiotic move I made was about 4 months ago to huawei as I went and purchased the mate 20 pro in full and nothing but issues with it and the advice from adivisors through the hicare app is so stupid as you get one person telling you one thing the next tells you totally different yet its the same question
Userlevel 2
So after 9 years of being a sheep to Apple I dipped my toe in the Android world and decided to go with Huawei. Immediately I was thinking to myself either I am brave or stupid getting a mobile from a manufacturer I know so little about especially with the US relationship with Huawei! Initially I was scared and concerned if I made the right decision as I have always been familiar and felt “normal” using Apple products.

However doing some homework on highly recommended mobiles with best camera …Yes the P30 Pro was the only option! This meant dusting myself down and coming away altogether from Apple and enter an new era!

2 Month in … I am still a newbie to Android but has to be said I am not looking back yet! It does take time to adjust and learning new setting and functionality but hey that’s why you use communities like this! …If you cant find the answer then there is also YouTube reviews which have been extremely handy as a last resort!

Love my P30 Pro! …Definitely a whole bigger world out there once you get out the Apple bubble!

Those new to Android and have switch from Apple …. Stick with it you won’t be looking back!
I agree. I am apolitical myself. I believe Mr Trump's stand on Huawei products & devices reeks of his usual "tantrum" , brow beating approach to politics. As said I'm apolitical so will say no more than this. He is trying to hold Huawei to ransom. And this will without doubt come back to haunt him. Does he truly wan America to be one of the few major powers at the 5G table, begging for scraps? Many EU countries have already made their deals with Huawei. Great Britain, under James Cameron signed an 11 billion pound deal way back in, 2012. They say a weeks a long time in politics. Let me end by saying this. That week is even longer when your countries almost last in line for 5G. Stand by your Huawei devices, I certainly am. And not just because I find the tablet I bought very good, intuitive to use & well worth the money, but because sooner or later Mr Trump will have to backpedal, furiously too. If he wants a piece of the 5G pie. Be wise. Stick with Huawei.
Userlevel 4
Maybe worth trying the place where the car was purchased from or a main dealer, retailers are not going to have an understanding of bluetooth built in car kits for all the various car models as they dont sell them in most instances or would of had dealings with them unless they use something similar in their own cars, Halfords maybe another option as they do sell bluetooth car kits., or maybe a local garage of car expert locally who deals with car electronics etc.

Youtube and Goolge are normally the best soloutions for more specific issues as sometimes people have come across them before and have shared any success that they have had on these platforms.

Hardly Huawei's fault, would be the same as blaming your car manufactuer.

Hope you get resolved.

I think given the current circumstances with Huawei ppl are getting spooked easily, Huawei useser just need to keep a cool head.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Maybe worth trying the place where the car was purchased from or a main dealer, retailers are not going to have an understanding of bluetooth built in car kits for all the various car models as they dont sell them in most instances or would of had dealings with them unless they use something similar in their own cars, Halfords maybe another option as they do sell bluetooth car kits., or maybe a local garage of car expert locally who deals with car electronics etc.

Youtube and Goolge are normally the best soloutions for more specific issues as sometimes people have come across them before and have shared any success that they have had on these platforms.

Hardly Huawei's fault, would be the same as blaming your car manufactuer.

Hope you get resolved.
Okay, I’ll accept that it’s my settings but where do you find the setting that’s causing the issue.

twice now the reseller has told me they cannot help, their advice, try google or YouTube, that’s not good enough.

Huawei can’t be bothered to respond, their resellers and agents can’t help, there’s nothing in either the Quick start or full manuals to tell you how to fix the problem. My guess is:- I’ve purchased the phone and now I’m on my own to sort the issues. Well I believe in a little bit of old fashioned customer service. Goodbye Huawei, your service is hopeless.
Userlevel 1
I’ve just been purchased a new Huawei P Smart 2019 phone, to replace my 8 year old Samsung.

Ive never had a problem with the Samsung Bluetoothing to my car, I just used to get in and bingo phone automatically bluetoothed to the car.

Bring on the new Huawei P Smart it’s needs the cars password entered onto the phone every time I get in to the car.

Surely that’s not progress. Is there no Automatic Pairing?

I followed the instructions in the Handbook of the car and the instructions for the P Smart to the letter. I’ve been on YouTube and Google (as suggested by your agent) and I cannot find a way to stop this happening.

Why is getting some help so difficult?

It my car, it’s my phone, why the irritating requirement for a password every single time?

On Tuesday, after the holiday, I’ll be returning my Huawei to the shop and going back to a Samsung.

Dave

I don't have problems with p smart 2019 my guess it's your settings.
I’ve just been purchased a new Huawei P Smart 2019 phone, to replace my 8 year old Samsung.

Ive never had a problem with the Samsung Bluetoothing to my car, I just used to get in and bingo phone automatically bluetoothed to the car.

Bring on the new Huawei P Smart it’s needs the cars password entered onto the phone every time I get in to the car.

Surely that’s not progress. Is there no Automatic Pairing?

I followed the instructions in the Handbook of the car and the instructions for the P Smart to the letter. I’ve been on YouTube and Google (as suggested by your agent) and I cannot find a way to stop this happening.

Why is getting some help so difficult?

It my car, it’s my phone, why the irritating requirement for a password every single time?

On Tuesday, after the holiday, I’ll be returning my Huawei to the shop and going back to a Samsung.

Dave
Userlevel 1
@Mariam623
What problems are you having? The P series are usually the mid-range of the Huawei phones, if your looking for something with some kick maybe look into the Mate series phones they are much better. I have the Mate 20 pro and it's an excellent phone however the biggest issue I had with it is the screen gets scratch to easily IMO, which I didn't have with my Mate 10 pro.

Always get protection and don't delete the layer until u have protected cornilla h9 glass on screen. I have huawei p smart 2019 had to hard reset once and now I don't have any problems
Userlevel 4
@Mariam623
What problems are you having? The P series are usually the mid-range of the Huawei phones, if your looking for something with some kick maybe look into the Mate series phones they are much better. I have the Mate 20 pro and it's an excellent phone however the biggest issue I had with it is the screen gets scratch to easily IMO, which I didn't have with my Mate 10 pro.
No clue why I switched from Samsung to huawei. their marketing was smart and everyone was hyping the p30 series so I got one and regretted it in a few days. Filled with problems (huawei definitely rushed their release or something) and low quality screen. Going to try to sell it in a few months so I don't have to keep looking for solutions to all the problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Jujake,

Welcome on the community! Thank you for your reply in this thread. Glad to read that you moved from Apple to Huawei.. but sorry to see that you are having issues with your tablet!

I just flagged your thread about the battery drain on your tablet for our support team. They will assist you in that topic.

Also, please take a look at the other threads about the T5, they might be helpful for you! 🙂
I have had an iMac an iPhone from 3 onwards and an iPad all have served me well however when it come time to upgrade I decided due to the outrageous prices I would look at an alternative and Huawei seemed to be the way to go. So off I went to the shop and bought a P20 lite. Good phone, good camera maybe not quite as stable as iOS I've had a few crashes but overall I am not unhappy. So my iPad is 7 years old and slow so of I go and get a T5 tablet. Initially it seems ok does all the stuff I need to do, struggling a bit with connectivity still not managed to connect to my printer, again not quite so stable but perfectly usable for what I need, I can't comment on gaming because I'm an old git and it doesn't interest me.
Now for about a week or so it takes all night to charge and goes flat in just a few hours. I don't watch vidoes, I don't play games I just read my Kindle app, check the weather and send a few emails so where is the power going? The phone will last a couple of days and I use it a lot. Anyone having similar issues?
Userlevel 4
Good read👍🏾....thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Ihatelies, Welcome on the community!

Sorry to read that you are having problems with your Huawei devices. If you have questions about software updates please read this topic. Regarding other problems, please check out our F.A.Q. topic. Want to start a new topic? Click here.

This community is here to help you and to get the most out of your products! 🙂
hello all my problem is ive been using huawei phones and tablets for the past six years and they all have or had problems with them, so now alass my next phone wont be huawei seems to me they rush the phones out before they have been tested to the max and rather that make it easy to upgrade your phones operating system they want to push there next new one in your face ,so use to love them now i hate them
Userlevel 2
Great story, I had the yellow 1020 and I loved it until they replaced 8.1 with 10 and eventually ended windows on the phone. It's only now so many years later with my new Mate 20X that I finally have a camera as great EVEN better than that old mellow yellow beauty.